Elder D.J. Ward

Elder D.J. Ward
HOLINESS UNTO THE LORD

Follow this link to:

Follow this link to:
The Minister in These Times

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Elder, Ches and The Duck

Elder was a teacher at all times. It was on a Tuesday afternoon, and Elder was teaching and trying me for my initial sermon. He looked at me and said “Son, let's take a walk.” So we did. So, those of you who have been to Main Street, know that the church back up to a large parking lot. And so we took to the lot for a stroll. At the edge of this parking lot was a dirty and stagnant stream full of debris and swimming therein was a duck.Pop, put his hand in the air and said, “Ches, thank God for this duck.” I didn’t know what to say. He asked me, “Son, why isn’t that ducks feathers weighed down by the water?” and he gave a shout, “oh, glory, Ches, why hasn’t it drowned in all that mess?” I kept my mouth shut because I knew that his question didn’t require a response from me. Pop, went on and taught me a great truth through a duck.Son, that ducks wings has an oil coating that beads up water and pushes it away. That oil keeps the duck afloat in all that mess. Son, you’ll drown in life’s mess, unless you are coated with….with the Gospel. Oh, the Gospel of God’s Sovereign Grace. Son, you have to study it. Meditate in it, Wrestle with it, Stu…..dy it daily and Chesley Woodrum PREACH IT!He talked to me and told me that Sundays are most important. But Son, always come to Tuesday night Bible Study, that’s where the oil of the Gospel that your feathers need to stay afloat in life’s messes will be applied.He, had tears in his eyes, put his hands up in the air and waved at God. He brought his sweet and holy arm around me, and said, “You’re my duck, son let’s go to Bible Study.”And that’s a lesson from a duck.

No comments: